29 thoughts on “Endometriosis Surgery

1. Emma King

I hear your fear, your fight AND your determination.

YOU CAN and WILL overcome this my AI Sister! The key to you doing this is that you HAVE and I quote you from your blog "worked tirelessly for two & half years following Autoimmune Protocol & adopting Paleo lifestyle changes." As you say that lifestyle drastically improved your health, and they will be key in ensuring that as you do journey on this bumpy road, there will be alot less pot holes than if you hadn't. Here to support, cheer and virtually hug you. You're an inspiration! Stay Strong and enjoy your well deserved vacation. Rest xoxo

2. Hi there, this is a great blog. I recently started a website about my autoimmune journey (a rare progressive one). It's initially due to fundraising efforts for stem cell treatment but I hope it eventually becomes a resource for others so I've started blogging, it's not easy to be so open. Reading your blog inspires me because I see how much what you've said can help people. Bit just help them be aware of Endo, but help them understand it's ok to be afraid, it's ok to be frustrated that diet and lifestyle isn't always enough. Thank you for sharing openly and I pray you have peace on this often complicated and difficult journey with chronic illness. I also pray your procedure is more minor than expected and you have a very speedy and perfect recovery.

3. Wow Angie, what a brave post!!!! I am so sorry that you are dealing with this right now....there are no words to express how much I respect your work and honestly about your health battles. I totally understand the "why me" part of this....it is not fair that you have to suffer so much! Lots of hugs and love and positive thinking heading your way. Take a well deserved rest and know that I am here if you need to cry and vent to someone a little further away from everything.... I am already crying just reading this! You have made it through so much already and you will make it through this too.
    Love,
    Mika

4. Linda

Angie, you have been an inspiration to me already through my thyroid and fibromyalgia journey, but now even more so... I will be praying for you during these trials... You can do this!

5. Alice

I am so sorry to hear about your need for surgery,but we are all relieved I think that surgery is available. I sympathize deeply with your fear and I trust in your faith. Be strong.

6. Barb

As someone with endo, I really appreciate you sharing your journey. I was diagnosed in 2009 through a lap, and pretty much lost the use of an ovary. Not saying that my surgeon did anything wrong, but I commend you for doing your research and looking for the best surgeon - that's something I wish I would've researched more. I wish you the best, and hope that your surgeon is giving worst case scenerios, and it hasn't progressed to the digestive realm. Sending thoughts, prayers, and healthy vibes. Thanks for having the strength to publish this post!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Thanks Barb! It is really important to me to get the word out more . . . Endo. is not "just a painful period." I hope more women will find their answer sooner.

7. Jennifer

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope you enjoy your vacation and rest up to continue being the amazing fighter you are. You've inspired me and I hope the positive energy from all those you've touched pours into you when you're in surgery and recovering.
    Jennifer

8. David D

Angie- Thanks for sharing. As a physician, I can say that caring as we are, it is hard for us to realize the anguish caused by the potential loss of any organ or just to go through a general anesthetic or surgery. The unknown can be paralyzing and the fear of hoping all will go well, but not knowing for sure all add to the mix. I think that choosing the right surgeon as you have done can give great peace of mind, but at the end, reaching out to your friends and family, having faith in the God to whom you pray, and believing there is a purpose and plan He has in your life will bring you through. We appreciate you sharing your journey and your expertise, and I hope you know that all of our prayers go out to you in a time where you need them most.

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Thank you very much David! That is truly appreciated, esp. from your standpoint of expertise.

9. Ivonne

Angie,

l don't know exactly what to say. I understand your fear and admire your determination (you have me on the verge of tears right now). I ignore how you do it, but you pour your feelings into your writing. As we are several miles apart, perhaps the only help I can offer you is my positive vibes, prays and good wishes. If there is anything else that I can do for you, you just have to say it.
    You are an extraordinary woman, brave and even in your darkest moments, full of love and concern for other ones. I deeply admire you (you already know that!) Of course there are reasons to be afraid, but you show in your post that you are already addressing those fears. That is just... praiseworthy and awesome. You are inspiration for many of us AI-Fighters.

Love and hugs from your Mexican friend,

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Ivonne, thank you so much for this message! You know how much I respect you & appreciate all your efforts for my blog.

10. Colleen

Hey, Angie.
    Thanks for sharing, and giving us an opportunity to pray with you. You've been such a servant to us. Our turn now to pray you through this. Update as you can, so we know how to pray.
    Colleen
    SAD2AIP1

11. Vanessa

What a journey you are about to embark on, and have no doubt, with all your research, and pre op efforts you will recover like a champ. I just had a hysterectomy due to a cyst and Endo. and the gyno removed as much as she could that was close to the colon and bladder (the Endo. removal took 2.5 hrs, hysto only 1 hr) but she told me that I need to get to a surgeon and get the rest removed since she is not that kind of surgeon she couldn't get too close for fear of damaging something she couldn't fix, but there was a substantial amount left that has to be removed. I hope the procedure goes smoothly as well as your recovery, and thank you so much for sharing your story!!

12. Anne

This is my first time on your page and my heart goes out to you! I pray for all to go well for you. Have you ever tried acupuncture? It has been an absolute Godsend for me with all the health issues I have had (the believed I had Endo but I didn't want to pursue more testing and just went straight to acupuncture.) Don't know if that would be any help or relief for you! Hugs!!

13. Stacy

Angie, I am a clinical nutritionist and my 3 y.o. has had 4 surgical procedures in the last 2 years. I believe that because of our diet and lifestyle she has come through each one without complication and amazes her docs with her resilience. I see the same in my patients although most in mainstream med don't believe supplements, food or your state of mind impact your level of healing.

I haven't read all of your posts, but I find parasites in a large number of my endo cases. If this is something you haven't explored I can send you more info. All the best to you!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Hi Stacy! Thanks for that info. I had a long talk w/ a close friend yesterday & we did really touch on how much better my healing & outcomes will be due to diet. I have been meticulous for 2.5 yrs now, so I think there is a great foundation there. Thanks for further supporting that. I would love the info on parasites. You can email me at admin@alt-ternativeautoimmune.com .

14. Yvonne

Thank you for sharing your brave, honest and open-minded approach to a very serious health challenge. You are setting a great example for all of us. There are definitely times when we need to use the services of conventional doctors, but we can bounce back much more quickly than someone who is not following a nutrient-dense balanced lifestyle. I am very glad I didn't know how serious endometriosis can be when I was diagnosed with it many years ago. I had laproscopic surgery, which ended my painful periods. Then a few months later, I was able to conceive with help from Clomid. Being a natural-born worrier, I would have spent a lot of time worrying over possible future problems if I had known more. I am now way past a natural menopause and the whole thing is a distant memory. I will be praying for the best possible outcome for you, Angie!

15. Pingback:

16. Hi Angie!

I love your blog! And I really appreciate that you share your experience so intimitely with the world.

I, too, have Stage 4 Endo. My big surgery was in June of 2011. I had had a large endometrioma on my right ovary for years (~5cm). I fought tirelessly to avoid that surgery for 10 years (...fyi...I'm a Naturopathic Doctor, & have ended up learning a lot about endo because of my own health & that of the patients who came to see me because of our shared story...& as you can imagine, I tried everything natural I could get my hands on to 'fix' my endo!), & then it caught up to me & I ended up needing a bigger surgery than if I had gotten it done initially. The cyst somehow destabilized after I miscarried (after months of trying to get pregnant) & had taken some phytoestrogenic Chinese herbs to rebuild after the miscarriage (that my practitioner gave me despite my warning her that I could not take). The cyst was 15cm x 20cm at the time of operation. The pain from the cyst was worse than anything I have EVER experienced in my whole life (even post-op was a breeze comparitively, seriously). I won't say I regret the journey it's led me on though... Just 4 months after the surgery, I got pregnant with my son, who was born at home at exactly 40 weeks into my hands. It's been the biggest blessing to have come from that surgery. The endo is much better, but the SIBO sucks. I'm still working on that!!!

Meditation was the ONLY thing that helped me deal with the pain. Bernie Siegel's stuff was what helped me most. You may also want to look into a great website that clued me into something that has immensely helped me & many of my patients: http://www.sensiblehealth.com. You plan for healing sounds great! I wish you all the best in your healing journey!!! And I hope for the best possible outcome from your surgery!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Thanks so much for sharing your story Catherine!! I love to hear from practitioners who truly know what it is like to be in their patient's shoes. BTW, Bernie Siegel is great! We learned about him during my health coach training. So funny!

17. Pingback: