My husband & I live on the opposite side of the country from our mothers, so Mother's Day is always a little mixed for me. It is sweet to celebrate my own motherhood with my awesome daughter and husband, but I always feel a bit sad that I can't do more to honor our own mothers. We've done everything from the traditional to flowers to the very unusual underwear. LOL! Our first year in Africa I bought our mothers underwear for Mother's Day, because I volunteered at an orphanage there & realized that most of the children did not have adequate underclothes. We sent funny notes to our mothers saying we were buying them "panties" for Mother's Day. Even though this marks another year when we can't be together, I hope both of the special women that raised my husband & I AND all our siblings know how much we love them & how happy I would be to make them this lovely Mother's Day menu:
Appetizer & Drinks
It may seem that pesto without nuts & cheese won't be as yummy, but I make pesto this way all the time & my family & I love it.
- Omit walnuts, Parmesan cheese, mayo, & tomatoes.
I am really excited to try this drink. It seems delicious & refreshing. I'm looking forward to drink it on my deck in the late afternoon sun & eating appetizers while my main course bakes.
- Substitute 1/4 cup honey for the 1/2 cup of sugar.
I want a very simple, but elegant looking main dish for this menu. I love to cook, so I'll be doing my own Mother's Day dinner, but I'd like it to be easy-peasy.
Prosciutto Wrapped-Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I'll be using shiitake & crimini)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Loosely wrap chicken breast in plastic wrap & pound thin with a meat mallet.
- Combine mushrooms, oil, garlic, & salt & pepper in food processor.
- Process for a few seconds on low to create a grainy mixture. Do NOT process to a paste.
- Spread mushroom mixture over one side of chicken & roll up.
- Wrap prosciutto around chicken. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place in baking dish & bake for 30 minutes.
Kale Sauteed with Garlic
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp cooking fat (I'll be using lard)
- salt, to taste
- Wash kale & dry kale, pull from stems & roughly chop.
- Mince garlic.
- Sautee kale & garlic for 5-8 minutes. Season with salt.
- Serve chicken breast, sliced on the diagonal over beds of sauteed kale.
If you can't tell, I am loving the pretty colors of pale green right now, so I thought this dessert would be a bright reminder of the drink I am serving with appetizers earlier in the meal.
- Substitute 1/4 cup honey for 1 cup sugar. The substitution for sugar to honey is usually half, but I feel fruit is plenty sweet enough on it's own, so I am cutting down even more for this recipe.
I hope you'll enjoy this menu! As always, let me know what you think!