15 thoughts on “Can I Buy You A Beer?: A Celiac Looks At Orthorexia

1. Kristie

Hi
    I agree whole heartlessly with what you have said, but I need to ask how to work out which additional restrictions need to be in place if you can not afford the testing.
    I started this journey doing something called failsafe and it was rediculiously restrictive. I was failsafe, dairy free, gluten free, nightshade free and low fodmaps and ended up eating 11 things. Every time I would try and reintroduce something I would react and then spend forever getting back to baseline to try again.
    I have up and decided it was easier to be sick until I put on the 20kg I lost and have now started paleo with a majority's AIP element. But also trying to keep fruit and fodmaps to a minimum.
    It's been 8 weeks and I am getting sick of it again and don't know what to do.
    I just want to feel healthy !!! Help please

2. Cindy

Angle, thank you! Just what I needed- I tend to do everything to the power of 10,000 and then fall flat 'cause I just can't keep up the momentum! The last couple months I have been adjusting to the AIP (and falling off the wagon) and am learning now to just keep it simple. It's slowly getting easier. The AIP is such a mind shift, and those of us who have been sick a long time don't need to make it even more complicated. I stand duly, and gratefully, chastened. And ready for my cold beer! Well, soonish anyway.
    I'm so grateful to you and the other lovely AIP bloggers associated with the Paleo mom - what a wonderful resource you all are!

3. Veronica

Very well thought out. Yes you can buy me a beer! We need to be sure we all do not go overboard and then make the lifestyle change turn into a horror. good idea to step back and evaluate and think moderation.

4. Amy

As someone who has recovered from anorexia, this SO needed to be said! THANK YOU! We should be focusing on healing our bodies, instead of obsessing over the smallest details of our diets. The restriction phase is just that....a phase and so often in online communities it stops right there and criticisms are made quickly (and often!) to those who consume chocolate, or a certain grain while on AIP or other modified diets. Thank you again for bringing awareness and hopefully some balance to some plates! 🙂

5. Frances Young

Thank you for this write up. It is always good to re-evaluate.
    Would you mind sharing how you were diagnosed with SIBO?
    I suspect I may have it and keep searching for the right way to heal from it.
    Thank you!

6. Amber

Thank you! Thank you! Permission to get off the "I am stricter than you" ride and the judgement of others for moving on in this journey! Will share this link with others so they can leave some baggage at the door and move forward in their pursuit of healing! Thank you! Love your work!

7. Robin Shaw

Loved this, but...When I realized I have some control over severe and multiple leg spasms (MS) at night by what I eat (gluten and histamine triggers) and some control over my vulvadinia (low oxalate foods) it became clear that diet is critical for me. But as time goes by I am having to eliminate more and more! Advice?

8. Great post!
    The other thing I have noticed about AIP-people is a tendency to attribute every little ache, pain or ailment to something they have eaten.
    For example someone has a headache, and immediately assumes it must be their diet, when it could be as simple as a problem with their neck muscles, a change in the weather, coming down with a cold or some other problem instead. So rather than trying to find the real cause of the problem they cut out whatever they ate the day before assuming that the shrimp or whatever it was must be the cause.
    And then they are restricting their diets more and more, often needlessly.
    Of cause, if they get a headache every time they eat shrimp, that is a good reason for cutting it out.

9. Tiffany

Yes! I have to say some people on the AIP FB groups seem to be taking it too far. I feel like a have a few ideas on which foods are bothering my system (Hashimoto's for 10 yrs), but to restrict my diet as much as I'd need to would leave me eating almost nothing since I've got some serious gut healing to do. For me, once the eliminating is over and I've reintroduced, it goes back to what I see as the golden rule for food: Eat everything in moderation. Obviously, don't include anything that is going to kill you, but common sense here people! The majority of our food should be lots of fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins, that your body can handle. If you want to have that cup of coffee, hunk of chocolate, glass of wine, do it and enjoy it...every once in a while.

10. Pingback: