15 thoughts on “The SIBO Saga: Part 2

1. Michelle Varrin

My naturopathic doc just gave me the Commonwealth Lab lactulose test kit on friday and I'm watching the video today. It's great to be doubly insured that I'm doing the right test. Thanks for the info! Great article. Is the lactulose sugar pack going to make me sick? I'm kind of dreading it...

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Michelle, I tend to get very bloated after taking the test & definitely have a "flare" of my symptoms (belching, worsened constipation), but I wouldn't say I am exactly sick from it. Folks w/ SIBO w/ diarrhea sometimes get very urgent diarrhea upon drinking the solution. I don't think it should be anything too crazy though. For instance, if you have ever done a colonscopy prep . . . it is NOTHING like that.

2. Trish

Great entry! I have sufferd w SIBO and have a good handle on what it means...and didn't know there were two kinds :)!

3. Tyler

Thank you so much for these articles. Last year Breaking the Viscous Cycle feel into my hands, and I was SURE I had SIBO. I haven't been able to afford a doctor, or any lab tests for that matter- I just knew that something was wrong. So, I followed the SCD/GAPS diet for over a year, and am just now adding back a few complex carbs here and there (plantains, sweet potato, etc.). I thought, if I did have SIBO, the diet should've helped by now? Now I keep hearing that antibiotics are needed to help with SIBO? I'm a bit lost with the whole idea, and your article was incredibly helpful. I know that I need to save up for proper testing now, to ease my mind. I do have a question though. Aside from digestive issues, I have had LOTS of kidney infections in the past year. To combat them, I've taken many, many rounds of antibiotics. I even heard that one of ones I've taken, Bactrim, is often used to treat SIBO? Do you know if this is true? Do you think that with the amount of Antibiotics I've taken over the past year, along with SCD diet, that any SIBO should be gone? (Please excuse the excessive questions and run-on sentences.)

Tyler

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Tyler, I have not heard of Bactrim to treat SIBO. You should also know that the doctors who attended the Symposium did not feel that diet alone could correct SIBO in an adult. It is possible the antibiotics you have taken are not effective w/ SIBO or that you have additional issues that need treated to help the SIBO. I would start w/ finding a GI doc & getting a breath test to confirm. From there, you can look over these blogs for suggestions on the best antibiotic courses, & soon I will post info on diet & other things that can be done to help SIBO, that you can also use to guide your healing. With all that antibiotic use, have you taken any probiotics??

4. Debbie

Angie, your information on SIBO is excellent! Since I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue for me, your comments have been very helpful!

5. Susan

Thank you for posting this! It is invaluable info and matches up with the protocol my dr prescribed. I'm on my second round of antibiotics for SIBO and have taken two breath tests. Hoping to be done after this round. Again, thanks for getting this info out there!

6. David

Angie you wrote: "" However, as much as 70% of SIBO patients experience disruption of the appropriate rhythm. Dr. Pimentel underlined the importance of SIBO patients having periods of "fasting" between meals and not constantly snacking throughout the day, in order to let the cleansing action occur. If you have food, it immediately shuts down the wave. He also stated that many will need help stimulating the MMC, which can be done with a number of prokinetic (pro movement) drugs.""

is this MMC disruption common with Diarrhea type IBS? or are you referring to IBS_C here? Seems like the IBS-C patients would want the MMC to be shut down as much as possible.

PS. Good series of posts on SIBO. Thanks for creating them.

1. Angie Alt

Post author

David, I think IBS-C would want MORE cleansing action, MMC, to relieve constipation. IBS-D, I'm not sure. Does more MMC mean more diarrhea? Either way it is an important biological function that I am sure helps keep our gut microbiomes healthy.

7. Pingback:

8. Jill

HI all, I think i newly have SIBO...waiting for my dr appt in a few days. I just watched Dr Siebecker on the digestive sessions yesterday and i have all the symptoms. She says that you do need something to clear out the bacteria or you can 'starve' them with Vivonex which is a nasty-tasting (and from what I can tell, very expensive) supplement of aminos and fats...also re-testing to be sure it's gone and then a good follow up diet to avoid relapse (lots on her site siboinfo.com) My question is...I never had this before and I have taken Bactrim for the first time in my life...could this CAUSE this problem? I stopped it for a few days and felt better and then thought I should finish the course and took one today and I'm in such pain a few hours later...

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Hi Jill-
      I don't know much about Bactrim, so I can't help you there. I don't know if it was the cause of SIBO for you.