18 thoughts on “The SIBO Saga: Part 3

1. Lance

Just found your blog today, yay!! I suspect I have SIBO, just got a breath test back and it labeled me as IBS-C, but still figuring out what that means. I put myself on the waiting list to meet w/ Dr. Siebecker as I only live about 3.5 hrs away (figure it will be worth the drive!).

One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is what brands are recommended for the different herbal remedies. I found Dr. Siebecker's recommendation for Garlic but I'm not sure about the others. Do you happen to know? If there's anything worthwhile on Amazon that would be my preference 🙂

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful wisdom!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Hi Lance! Thanks for reading! Awesome that you will be working w/ Dr. Siebecker. I do not have brand name recommendations on the herbs either. They just spoke about varieties at the Symposium & not brands. Good luck!!

2. Mickey

Hi Angie,
      Was there any suggestion on what to eat or take to keep blood sugars from dropping while taking Berberine. I will be starting this week a higher dosage. Currently at 500mg a day to see how I do. Isn't bothering me, but I am border line hypoglycemic. I don't have any Neem, but praying the Berberine and Iberogast plus low fodmap will do the trick.
      My symptoms lead me and my doctor to believe I have SIBO. Not constipated and not diarrhea, but more loose stools, bloating and discomfort.
      Thanks for your input.
      Mickey

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Mickey, I did not see any suggestions for keeping blood sugars from dropping w/ the Berberine. I would probably concentrate on eating a protein & fat w/ each dose, as a starting point.

3. Cheryl Keeney

@ Lance,
      What garlic did she recommend? I may just chop up one and swallow it..I made a garlic milk once lol and it was awful but I think it helped me.

1. I had to schedule my appointment a few months out so i still don't get to meet w/ her for a while 🙂 I'm curious what she'll recommend though! I've heard chopping them up and swallowing is a good way to go though--

2. Andrew

Hi,

I am currently a patient of Dr. Siebecker and have been for the last 3 months. I don't mind sharing the brands of herbal antibiotics she uses; however, I really recommend finding a doctor who is experienced in treating SIBO because there is more to treating it than just taking herbal antibiotics (in most cases).

Integrative Therapeutics Berberine Complex (for hydrogen predominant SIBO)
    Allimed Allicin (for methane predominant SIBO)
    Ayush Neem Plus

Hope the information helps and happy healing to everyone!

3. Michael

Neem does not seem like a wise choice for those with autoimmunity. According to many websites it increases your immune system and should be avoided by people with autoimmune problems.

4. Chris

Hi Angie,

there are Goldenseal powders with 5% and 10% alkaloids content. Do you know which one was referred to when talking about 5g/day?

5. Paula

Angie, I was hoping you could shed some light on my problem. I had a hydrogen breath test, but I tend to get more constipated than diarrhea. Does that mean I could have BOTH methane and Hydrogen producing bacteria? Thanks!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Paula-
      I need to go back over my notes (I can't remember which "direction" this happens), but I do think that sometimes you will have high hydrogen results, w/ almost no methane, yet be suffering from constipation & it has something to do w/ the bacteria converting the gases. I will try to find the specifics, but I would ask your doctor to give you a treatment course for SIBO w/ constipation, rather than the typical course for those w/ diarrhea.

1. Ann

Hi Angie,
        I have am on my second week of the herbal treatment Berberine and Neem as prescribed by my Dr. And low FODMAP.
        I have been feeling yucky at least everyday sometime I have stomach ache, I just wondered if this is at all usual just in the begining? This feeling is unusual for me.... Thanks.

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Hi Ann-
          I have never done the Berberine & Neem treatment, but your reaction seems pretty common. A lot of folks describe feeling a bit worse before they feel better. Keep up the good work!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Admir, I don't know about that. I have never heard that you must change your diet prior to taking it.

6. Joanne Diebold

I am struggling for 3 years with digestive issues, floating stool, film on water, nausea-- I am working with a natural health practitioner. I am on several supplements ( minerals, vitamins, for 2 months---also berberine- just started yesterday). All totally 34 capsules a day-- anybody know if this is normal? Stomach not good on all----seems like too much for a leaky gut and sibo intestine to handle??? Also she did not do a breath test or any test besides muscle test to determines what supplements and amounts of supplements needed -- methane or hydrogen never done any test- just said I have sibo. It makes sense given the symptoms of gas bloating constipation floating stools with film on water etc... And treating as such--- please if anyone has thoughts please let me know--I'm scared of harming my body farther, but want to get better!! HELP!

1. Angie Alt

Post author

Joanne, I am so sorry you are going through this . . . I cannot comment on your health practitioner's methods, but 34 supplements a day does seem to be a lot. It is not so uncommon to treat SIBO based on symptoms alone, but breath testing could be very useful in helping you determine the right treatments. If I were you, I might consider seeking some 2nd opinions. Best of luck!

2. Jasmine

Joanne,

I hope you feel better. DO the 4 R's of gut therapy: 1. remove 2. repair 3. retire 4. replace. First find out what KIND OF SIBO you have. Hydrogen or methane? If you have diarrhoea loose stool and malabsorption, then you have predominantly hydrogen, constipation = methane. Both treatment method are different. Take any berberine blend for hydrogen SIBO. This is your first step for at lest two weeks, then start repairing ASAP to make sure it doesn't comeback - ever. Take zinc carnosince, glutamine, google stuff for gut repair. DO NOT take any probiotics as they may have caused this in the first place!!! I kept taking pro-biotics and kept relapsing - not knowing the reason until now. Spare yourself and thro out your probiotics. Take yogurt, keifr and probiotic rich foods. Also check out the "Paleo diet." This will help heal a broken gut. Bone broth etc. But FIRST remove remove remove. Get the berberine and stop all probiotics.