14 thoughts on “Rock Bottom

1. Jennifer

When my celiac manifested itself in 2001, I put off going to the doctor...at first, I thought it was just a persistent stomach bug, and it would improve just enough that I thought it was going away, but of course, it didn't, and got worse again. Then we went to Poland for a friend's wedding, and we stayed on her family's farm...they had really yummy multigrain bread, and I ate a lot of it (along with the pork from the pig they had butchered for the occasion...I bet it was my first semi-pastured pork, but I had no idea and got tired of ham for breakfast so ate some more bread). I didn't make the connection at the time, but I felt as bad as I ever had, living on Imodium, and walking through lovely Poznan keeping track of where the public restrooms were. My husband was angry with me, because why hadn't I gone to a doctor before the big trip? We came home, I made an appointment. I was diagnosed celiac within a month, thanks to my primary care doc, who said, "I'm going to test you for celiac, even though it's pretty rare and that's probably not it. But one of my IBS patients just tested positive, so I'll just add this test in, too."

2. This is very interesting to me because I have often thought about the rock bottom thing. It is generally used in conjucntion with something that is bad for us when it's food we NEED it to survive. But when that is what makes us sick it's very difficult to figure out exactly what foods are the culperts. When it's alchohal, drugs or tobaco it's one thing with food there are seemingly endless possibilities. Overwhelming!!!

3. My rock bottom occurred when I got the negative label of MS. Reed Davis from FDN saved my life, not because he cured me but because he gave me hope and Dr's had nothing (or atleast the ones close to me). I know I owe him a lot of thanks each day. I got myself certified as a FDN, sense I was my first client. I eat differently, found out things about my cortisol and melatonin that I didn't know, and working towards understanding pathogens and gut response. To me now it is the best thing that ever happened to me and I did nothing for 3 years and I had the symptoms. Oh well, now I spend a lot of time helping people understand what the path to health looks like. Lets face it, not many people have to search it out or they are in denial. Great topic, great blog, great info. If I can ever be of any help please contact me, you can find me at facebook.com/fdnjt.

Joel

4. Another great post, Angie. Although I agree that we shouldn't have to hit rock bottom, for most of us, we do seem to require that for motivation, myself included. The silver lining is that the contrast when we regain our health is so dramatic. Tears of gratitude.

5. Anonymous

My problem is that I don't want to wait that long - I saw the adult onset 'eczema' and the joint pains as warning signs, something I shouldn't put up with but take as a sign my body wasn't coping. Problem is, getting a diagnosis of what's wrong and therefore knowing where to focus your healing efforts. I put lots of time and energy into healing, paleo diet, bone broths, cod liver oil, vitd, probiotics and other supplements, yoga, exercise, sleeping well - but still 'progression' is downhill. As my GP says, with autoimmune problems you have to get really ill before we can work out what's wrong with you. I'm going to do the AIP for 30 days but don't know whether my symptoms are severe enough to notice a difference and know what foods, when i add them back in, are harmful...I think I can stay motivated but people around me must be wondering if I'm just a giant lazy hypochondriac - because I don't have a diagnosis of anything they've heard of, and if they have they won't see the diet connection anyway. So I find the perceived judgement of others harder to deal with than motivation per se. I almost want to do what they all do and get properly ill so they can see why I'm doing it. Which would be bonkers - I think.

6. Angie what an awesome post....I definitely agree that we shouldn't have to hit such a hard rock bottom to find the courage to change our health, but for some reason it seems to take that for us to be willing to take control. I think that we often kind of lay back and put the reigns in the hands of the doctors, thinking that they will know better... and we have to really hit rock bottom to decide to take the reigns back and make our own decisions (when our doctor's choices clearly aren't working. Unfortunately by then we often are so sick that healing is a really long journey. I have to admit that I hit rock bottom a few times before I truly committed to AIP. Paleo was no problem, but giving up the eggs....yikes that one was rough 🙂

7. Shannon Fyr

Yes, I hit "rock bottom" and I was going to get out one way or the other... I figured "what can it hurt to throw everything out and start from scratch?" So I gave it a chance before doing anything final that I couldn't take back.

I never did get a celiac diagnosis but I have suffered dermatitis herpetiformis (self diagnosed) and my father and brother are diagnosed celiac with DH. My doctors said that it isn't worth testing for because the test is so inaccurate and were not convinced that my dad and brother being celiac had anything to do with my health. The "best" gastroenterologist in our area said that I wasn't that sick and to wait and come back when I was passing blood in my stool. He gave me a lot of literature about how successful medications are for IBS.

I think I held onto the destructive lifestyle (a "normal" lifestyle that all my 20 something, fast-lane friends were living) for reasons explained by anonymous above - society/culture had me convinced that, in the absence of a doctor's diagnosis, it's all in my head. Where do I get off thinking I'm better than everyone else and being such an elitist snob demanding to eat healthy ALL the time? Well meaning friends and family would reason with me to lighten up, be less rigid, cut myself some slack - "you don't need to eat so healthy ALL the time!" Also if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that all the cholesterol/animal foods/saturated fats are killing me it would find this endeavor!

Incompetent doctors insisting nothing is wrong, friends and family undermining the efforts and insisting I'm killing myself with such a strange diet, and the extra work load just sourcing quality food ingredients aren't easy to deal with. For me, it makes sense that the sickness had to be more inconvenient than the solution. There are a lot of measures that make the solution easier - books, proper kitchen tools, support from friends & family, etc. Obviously there are a lot of elements that make the sickness terribly inconvenient. Maybe if someone had pointed out to me that this is not normal, you don't have to feel this way, there is so much you can do! And handed me a copy of Autoimmune Approach, or GAPS or Autoimmune Cookbook.

8. Clear Eyes

Very interesting article! I'm a clinical psychologist. There is an old joke: "How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?" Answer: "Only one, but the light bulb has to want to be changed." If the symptoms are only a little inconvenient, then it's easy to put up with the status quo rather than doing something as radical as changing your diet. I don't think I ever hit bottom to the point where I was hospitalized or unable to work. I've changed my diet twice in the past 10 years. The first time, I thought I might have a candida problem. I was having lots of IBS symptoms, fatigue, and spells that are probably simple partial seizures. I also had chronic uveitis (eye inflammation) and had to take steroid eye drops many times a day. I cut out sugar and gluten. I lost weight, my acne improved, and my energy level improved. I told my husband I was ready to try to get pregnant. I conceived right away. After my son was born, I fell off the wagon a bit. I went back to gluten free, but I certainly wasn't ready for paleo. I finally decided to try AIP (initially for just 30 days) when I started having joint pain, shortness of breath, and dizziness, as well as extreme fatigue (I would get up in the morning and have to have a nap after breakfast). Those symptoms are all gone, and I haven't had a flare-up of my uveitis in months. My mother has been on steroids for decades for lichen planus. My sister has vitiligo. Almost all the women on my mom's side of family have had Graves' disease. Years ago, I saw a rheumatologist because I was having joint pain. I thought I might have fibromyalgia. He took my history and said, "No, you have a real auto-immune disease. If the joint pain gets worse, come back and I'll give you steroids." Fortunately, I've never had to go back. I do wish I'd learned about AIP when I was in my teens. (I remember having to get up early at summer camp to spend extra time in the bathroom because of my IBS.) But I don't think I would have been ready to make the change. And even if I had been ready, I wouldn't have had the support of this wonderful online community.